Former Flames Quarterback Starts For the Packers for Two Consecutive Wins

Former Flames quarterback Malik Willis is making strides in the NFL after carrying the Green Bay Packers to two consecutive wins as the team’s starting quarterback, one of these games being against his former team, the Tennessee Titans. Willis got the starting nod after the Packers’ franchise quarterback was sidelined with an injury in week one.

Willis led the Packers to a 16-10 win over the Indianapolis Colts in week two of the 2024 NFL season. In last week’s game, Willis threw his first NFL career touchdown pass to Dontayvion Wicks, who went 14 yards for the touchdown.

“It feels awesome,” Willis said in his postgame press conference. “I’ve just got to give all the glory to God for giving me this opportunity and just putting me in an environment where they can just help me, you know, not only get ready for the game but just instill confidence in me and help me be the best that I can be.”

Photo by Isaac Apon

After being traded from the Tennessee Titans just weeks before the season began, Willis was given an unexpected chance to start in place of Jordan Love, who is still recovering from a knee injury he suffered in week one.

Though he is still the new kid on the block, Willis already looks at home while donning a green and yellow jersey. Willis said that the Packers’ Head Coach Matt LaFleur has encouraged him during his time with the Packers.

“(LaFleur) was just trying to do everything he could to help me along the way, as well as instill the confidence that he knows that I can do whatever he needs me to do,” Willis said postgame. “He doesn’t have to change his offense, but he can add some stuff to help us execute and just go out there and play ball.”

The future looks bright in Green Bay for Willis, as he will continue to fill in for Love despite getting only three starts in his two years with the Titans.

With Love still out in week three, Willis started for Green Bay for the second week in a row, the first consecutive starts of his professional career. Stepping onto the gridiron in a city he used to call home, Willis led Green Bay to a 30-14 victory, conquering his former team. 

Photo by Isaac Apon

The former Flame set the field on fire for the best game of his career, going 13 for 19 on passes for 202 yards with one touchdown and six carries for 73 rushing yards. Prior to this game, he had never thrown for more than 99 yards.

“I’ve had a lot of time to work hard and grind every day in order to make use of this opportunity, which I’ve been just trying to do these last two weeks,” Willis said. “I think more than anything just trying to continue to work hard and understand that you don’t know when the opportunity will come, but you have to be ready for it if you get it.”

Willis has done more in this short period of time for Green Bay than he did his entire two seasons with the Titans. In his two starts with the Packers, Willis has completed two touchdowns with a total of 324 passing yards compared to going 0 and 3 on touchdown passes with 234 yards during his three starts with the Titans.

“I just cannot articulate the job that he has done in the short period of time. People can’t fathom that,” LaFleur said. “What he’s been able to do, I’ve never seen something like this.”

The future is still up in the air for Willis, as Love is anticipated to return to the field in the coming weeks. The Packers take on the Minnesota Vikings next week in a game that will give more insight into Willis’ future as a starter for Green Bay.

White is the asst. sports editor for the Liberty Champion.