FACS Professor Shares Gospel Through Dress Collection

A collection of gowns that has drawn crowds from as far as Russia, the Haute Couture Biblical Gown Exhibition, is on display in DeMoss Hall 2242.

Located near the Grand Lobby, the exhibition showcases 12 high fashion gowns, each representing a different biblical element from Genesis and the Garden of Eden.

The gowns currently on display are part of a larger collection of 54 Haute Couture gowns created by fashion designer, painter and Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) professor Aleona Isakova as an expression of her faith.

Prior to becoming a Christian in 1991, Isakova was a successful artist and fashion designer. Isakova’s official biography states, “Prince Charles, now King of the United Kingdom, referred to Aleona Isakova’s show in Cardiff as ‘A Blessing for the Welsh Nation.’” Despite this, Isakova feared that her work would be rejected one day.

“The problem with success without Jesus is that it creates fear,” Isakova said. “When I went back to my studio and took to white canvas or paper, terrible fear would come to my heart. ‘If I create something else that is not so beautiful, will people reject me?’”

After becoming a Christian, Isakova said this terrible fear faded away.

“Jesus found me, and it’s changed my life completely. It’s also changed my creativity because now I create for him,” Isakova said. “I create from the tip of my heart to give to Jesus. I’m worshipping him.”

Photo by Ethan Smith

Isakova spent five years creating a collection of over 50 dresses inspired by pivotal biblical events that outline God’s redemptive plan for mankind. The entire collection, Isakova said, is valued at over $500,000, with each hand-sewn dress requiring more than 1,000 hours of work to complete. The collection is a tangible expression of God’s Word that has been displayed around the globe, with exhibits in Moscow, Sydney, Jerusalem, London and now Lynchburg, Virginia.

“She very much believes in fashion related to your faith, and so every one of these garments has a biblical emphasis, and she wants to use these as a method of sharing the gospel,” said Kimberly Cashman, assistant professor of FACS.

Because she has such a biblical focus, it just makes such a difference in the perspective and the purpose.”

After visiting Liberty University on several occasions to share her story with FACS students, Isakova donated the collection to Liberty in 2022 to inspire a new generation of Christian fashion designers, so they can use their talents to glorify God.  However, the collection was first displayed on campus during the spring 2024 semester. Isakova also teaches classes on fashion draping design and fashion illustration at Liberty.

“Christians for around 100 years have not cared about fashion, so fashion was ruled by people who were not godly,” Isakova said. “But I believe it is now time to make an influence on fashion because fashion can change culture. We need a new strong generation of talented, well-skilled fashion designers who love Jesus and who can create with God.”

To learn more about the FACS department at Liberty, visit www.liberty.edu/arts-sciences/family-consumer-sciences.

Perez is an arts and culture reporter for the Liberty Champion.