Becket Cook and Hyeon Soo Lim Speak at Convocation

Students listened to the testimony of Becket Cook and Hyeon Soo Lim during Wednesday and Friday’s convocations.

Becket Cook, podcaster and author of “A Change of Affection: A Gay Man’s Incredible Story of Redemption,” shared his testimony during Wednesday’s convocation. 

“I was a gay atheist living in Hollywood, then I had an encounter with God, and my life changed forever,” Cook said.

Cook said when he was in high school, he met his best friend who was also gay. He said they went to gay bars and clubs together during their high school years. After college, Cook met and began a relationship with his first boyfriend. Shortly after, Cook came out to his family, who was surprised by his announcement and was not supportive of Cook’s sexuality. 

Photo by Jessie Jordan

Looking for a change, Cook set off to Los Angeles to start a new life in Hollywood as an aspiring actor.  Cook said he used his relationships to find meaning and purpose in his life.

“After this many years of chasing shiny objects, I wanted to know the purpose of life. God wasn’t an option for me because I was gay,” he said.

While at brunch in Los Angeles one day, Cook noticed a table of young people with their Bibles open. This sparked his curiosity, and he questioned the group about their faith. He listened to them and accepted their invitation to attend church.

While listening to the pastor preach that Sunday, Cook felt he understood the truth about God.

“I came undone, … and in that moment, God revealed himself to me,” Cook said. “It was like the curtains had parted, and I could finally see the meaning of life.”

That day, Cook knew homosexuality was wrong, but he was not discouraged. He said the relationship he could have with God was much more valuable than any other relationship he could have.

“I’m not alone. I’m in a relationship with the king of the universe, and it’s the best relationship I’ve ever been in,” Cook said.

Cook concluded by speaking on the grace and mercy of God, and the Liberty Worship Collective closed Convocation in a time of worship.

Lim shared the majority of his message in Korean with English translations provided on the screens at Friday’s convocation. Lim, the pastor of Light Korean Presbyterian Church in Mississauga, Ontario, led humanitarian efforts in North Korea and described what it was like being held for 949 days in a North Korean prison camp. 

Photo by Kendell Tidwell

The pastor’s imprisonment included solitary confinement and hard labor with poor living conditions. Lim spoke of the food and losing 50 pounds within the span of two months.

“If you want to lose weight, go to North Korea,” Lim said, jokingly. 

Despite the harsh trials, Lim did not lose hope. He believes the hardships he faced were actually “a disguised blessing.” The lack of everyday comforts provided Lim with “a perfect monastery to refine” himself.  Lim was allowed to have and read his Bible throughout his imprisonment.

“This (reading his Bible) was like the joy of finding living water in the desert,” Lim said.

Not only was Lim able to expand his biblical knowledge, but he also came to realize the importance of fellowship and the value of freedom. These appreciations greatly influenced Lim’s current vision for his work in North Korea.

The very sermons the North Korean officials used in attempts to discriminate Lim ended up being the reason they heard the gospel.

“They listened to dozens of my sermons to investigate me. Their attitude toward me began to change,” Lim said.

Those in charge of Lim’s imprisonment began treating him with kindness, and some even came to him for counseling.

Eventually, Lim was released, and he has since preached and shared his vision for North Korea freely. He now hopes to train pastors and missionaries to go to North Korea to evangelize.

“When the people who will spread the gospel in North Korea are ready, God will open the doors to North Korea,” Lim said.

Lunney is a news reporter for the Liberty Champion.