Freshman flamethrower: Kaylan Yoder amazes in her debut season

Freshman left-hand pitcher Kaylan Yoder is a spark to her entire team. Leading the Flames in the conference, she has made her 10-year-old self’s dreams come true.  

Yoder toured Liberty University her senior year and was ready to sign as soon as possible, instantly falling in love with the school, its softball team and that team’s coaching staff. Yoder knew this was where God was calling her to continue her love for softball.  

With over 100 innings pitched in her debut season, Yoder’s goal of hoping to see the diamond at all has turned into pitching every weekend for the Flames. 

“My smaller goal was honestly just to pitch,” Yoder said. “I’ve seen a lot of innings, so that’s a goal I can cross off my list.”  

Photo by Matt Reynolds

The Flames have five incredible pitchers, each with unique pitches and features to their game. Standing at 5-foot-5, Yoder’s height isn’t the draw to her pitching, but rather her dominance and confidence that emanate from the mound. In one season, she has already been awarded Conference USA Pitcher of the Week and Freshman of the Week. She remains humble and calm every time she approaches a batter.  

“My best can beat people,” Yoder said. 

At the age of 8, Yoder went to her first softball game at the University of Delaware to support her sister-in-law, Hannah Yoder. Sitting in the cold with her entire family, she became transfixed by the sport.  

“I was so fascinated,” Yoder said. “I sat there in the cold all bundled up for the whole two-hour game.”  

Since then, her love of softball has only grown. Pulling teeth to be able to play travel ball, softball became her passion.  

For her senior year of high school, Yoder transferred to Delmarva Christian High School to play softball. While she only played a single year of high school ball — including her time playing travel softball — Yoder was still able to make her name recognized by Liberty. Her focus, competitiveness and perfectionism drew the eye of Flames Head Coach Dot Richardson. 

“The biggest thing is she is a competitor,” Richardson said.  

The shift from high school to college softball has not shaken Yoder one bit. Understanding the game, expectations and competition, she is determined to be the best she can be.  

“I’m just here to pitch, and I have the most fun when I’m doing it,” Yoder said.  

The team started the season with four straight losses, but after a few excellent weeks, it now ranks first in the conference. Yoder, after pitching in 17 different outings, is tied for the team lead in wins with 10 while also pitching seven losses. She has been able to step up in conference play, however, claiming seven of her 10 wins against conference opponents.  

Photo by Chase Gyles

“She is very selfless and a great team player,” Richardson said. “She has a goal and is going to achieve it.”  

This year’s team has grown closer to each other every day and become a family that has each other’s back.   

“It just helps me know it is deeper than softball,” Yoder said. “I know they are here for me on both sides of the ball.”  

Being able to trust her teammates and have so much confidence has helped Yoder tremendously as she pitches. 

“I have learned a lot about the game and things in general,” Yoder said. “There are a lot of characteristics of upperclassmen that I really admire and hope I have in myself one day.”  

This team is more than just playing ball; it is a group of individuals full of love and hope for one another.  

As the season is coming to an end, Yoder wonders what she can accomplish next year.  

“(Making my) second pitch just as reliable as my first,” Yoder said.  

She already has a powerful arm that forces batters to swing when they normally wouldn’t, but with so much time left in her collegiate career, the only way forward is up for Yoder.  

“She is all-around an elite athlete,” Richardson said. “The sign of a champion.” 

Caroline Young is a sports reporter.