Flames in the pros: Demario Douglas

After getting drafted by the New England Patriots in the sixth round (pick 210), former Flame DeMario “Pop” Douglas went on to have one of the best seasons of a rookie wide receiver in the entire NFL.  

Douglas, who led Liberty in both receiving yards and receiving touchdowns in his final season as a Flame, led the Patriots in total receiving yards with 561 yards and averaged 11.4 yards per reception.  

Granted, the Pats had one of their worst seasons in recent memory, going 4-13 and claiming the third overall pick in the upcoming 2024 NFL draft. But Douglas was a bright spot for a team that saw more darkness than light this season.  

Though Douglas was able to produce well in a very underperforming Patriots offense with no true quarterback, there are questions surrounding his ability to perform in a quality NFL offense. Douglas said so himself in late December, according to an article by Bernd Buchmasser of Pat’s Pulpit.  

“I’m proud, but I feel like I haven’t done anything yet. I feel like I still have a lot of work to do,” Douglas said at his Gillette Stadium locker on Thursday. “I feel like every day in practice I learn something new. I feel like I still got stuff to work on.” 

Buchmasser’s article also discusses how Douglas’ position coach for the Patriots, Troy Brown, speaks highly of the former Flame. 

“He’s continuing to develop his savviness and his ability to play inside,” Brown said. “Everything doesn’t always have to be full speed all the time, so just developing a good sense of how to play in the slot. He’s continuing to get better at that, and obviously catching the ball. … He’s just continuing to grow as a player. He’s confident, he believes in himself and that’s half the battle right there, when you’re confident to go in there and play well.” 

Palsgrove is the asst. sports editor for the Liberty Champion. Follow him on X