The story behind Liberty hockey player Sam Feamster’s intriguing NHL bloodline

Walk through the doors of the LaHaye Ice Center on any given game day, and you’ll spy Liberty forward Sam Feamster flying up and down the ice, seeking any opportunity to send a puck between the pipes. Scoring goals is one of his favorite parts of the sport, and the sophomore has five on the season so far. 

But while the rush of the game and the thrill of the crowd encapsulate the 22 year old, Feamster’s devotion to hockey began somewhere much smaller. 

The first arena that Sam held a stick in was his basement, where he partook in games of floor hockey with his brother, Joe, and father, Dave. The competitions were fierce, and for good reason — they were being conducted by a former NHL defenseman. Dave spent four seasons donning the sweater of the Chicago Blackhawks, playing against legends in the game like Wayne Gretzky and Guy LaFleur. 

“From the time I was young, it must have been in the genetics because hockey was the game I loved the most,” Sam recalled. “Fortunately enough, we had my dad, who was there to guide us and lead us and coach us when we were kids. And that’s the reason I’m here today, honestly.”

The connection shared in the Feamster basement and on the ice was the highlight of Sam’s childhood. And for Dave, it meant just as much getting to see his sons grow up in the game together. 

“It was really fun that I had that connection with those two guys at a level that was different than just being their dad,” Dave said. “I was their coach, I was their encourager, I was their mentor, I was their confidant … God really ordained the game of hockey, I think, just to bring us close.”

But Dave’s influence on his children stretched far beyond the mere game of hockey. As Sam looks back, it’s the heart and spirit of his father that inspired him most and still sticks with him to this day. 

Dave’s path to the NHL was one characterized by an undying work ethic. He may not have been the fastest or flashiest player on the ice — but he always ensured that he was the hardest working. 

“His work ethic to get to where he made it in hockey and his compete level every day was just unheard of,” Sam said. “And that’s the only reason he says he made it to that level.”

The defenseman’s career in the league came to an unexpected end when a hard hit on the ice fractured a vertebra in his lower back. One minute, he was playing consistently on hockey’s greatest stage. The next, he was exiting the Blackhawks arena for the final time. As Dave made his way out of the building, a Zamboni driver looked at the 26 year old and said, “Well, they come and they go. You’re just one of them.” 

The reality of a life after hockey began to set in. 

There was a period of time when Dave doubted what lay ahead of him. He quickly came to realize, however, that the same principles that brought him success on the ice could bring him the same off it. Thanks to the help of an old friend, Dave managed to open his own Little Caesar’s shop in Pueblo, Colorado — the first of the six he owns today. 

“I said, if I can do (what I did with hockey) with pizza, I think I could be successful with that ability to focus, be there every day, show up, bring my heart to the game,” Dave said. “Working hard every day — I learned that through the game and I translate that every day today to my life in the pizza world.”

Not only was Dave supplying Pueblo with good pizza, but with a caring spirit that quickly became a pillar of the community. Growing up, he had played on numerous youth hockey teams that were sponsored by Little Caesars. 

“I used to pull my jersey on, and I was so proud to play for Little Caesars because I loved the pizza as a kid,” Dave recalled. “So, when I got into the pizza world, it was so natural for me because I felt like I was part of the team already with playing hockey for them.”

The first Little Caesars under Feamster’s name opened its doors on Dec. 29, 1986. Fifteen years later, Dave’s first son, Sam, was born. 

Sam was raised as the son of Dave Feamster, the pizza shop owner, rather than the NHL player. But while Dave’s NHL days were long behind him by the time Sam came along, the discipline and attitude that propelled him to the top ranks remained evident.  

“I would go to the store with him when I was younger and he’s walking around the store, picking up trash out of the bushes and stuff,” Sam said. “I’m looking at him like, do you have to be doing that? You could just tell somebody else to do that. But he’s just that type of guy. From the very small things to the top, he’s just relentless.”

That relentless pursuit has served as one of Sam’s biggest motivators throughout his hockey career. The 6-foot forward is known by the Flames coaching staff to be one of the most diligent athletes in the locker room, even taking home the team’s “Hardest Worker” accolade at the close of last season. 

“I’ve just tried to take (my dad’s work ethic) on,” Sam explained. “I feel like he’s given me the opportunities that I have today. So, I owe him at least a solid work ethic on a daily basis.”

And when Dave thinks of the way his son has committed himself to giving his best to the game day in and day out, his face beams with pride. 

“I’ve told (my sons) ever since they were young that hard work is the only way you make a step up. It’s not just skill. There are a lot of skilled guys out there, but whoever works the hardest keeps moving up the ladder,” Dave said. “I really believe that to be true, and Sam seems to emulate that.”

Whether it’s being the first one in the training room before practice or the last one on the ice when the day draws to a close, the Colorado native doesn’t mind. For Sam, the process is not only a joy, but a privilege. 

“I love the game … I don’t know if I’d even call it work some days. Some days you show up and it’s hard to go to the rink to shoot some extra pucks, whatever it might be. But I love the game,” Sam said.

“I love getting in the gym before practice, after practice, and doing extra stuff. Because for me, I’m even trying to work into a spot where I can earn more minutes on the ice. That’s the way I’m going to do it, just by trying to outwork guys.”

And for a team that’s battling every weekend in preparation for the ever-challenging ACHA National Tournament, that mindset is what Sam’s biggest mentor knows will pay dividends for his son in the long run. 

“Things don’t always go your way in the game,” Dave said. “You have struggles. But when you get the chance, you give everything you’ve got and the doors will open. I said, ‘Sam, really, you’re doing this for God because he gave you these gifts and you’re going to live it out.’ I’d say I’m extensively proud of how he works.”

Cory is the sports editor for the Liberty Champion. Follow her on X