Field hockey goaltender Azul Iritxity Irigoyen details her path from Buenos Aires to between the pipes

One of the most decorated Liberty athletes of all time, Azul Iritxity Irigoyen of Flames field hockey has had an unexpected, but incredible journey from her home country of Argentina to Liberty Mountain. 

Irigoyen is a senior goaltender for the Flames, hailing from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Growing up in Argentina, she had many incredible opportunities that prepared her for her time at Liberty. 

Beginning at a young age, Irigoyen has not just played field hockey but loved and excelled in it.

“I grew up playing field hockey since I was 6,” Irigoyen said. “I used to get calls from the national and provincial teams since I was 13.” 

From there, Irigoyen did not stop as she competed for Argentina’s Junior National Team, winning a gold medal at the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics. 

At 18, she decided to switch things up a little.

“I went to the Netherlands to play pro,” Irigoyen laughed. “I played there for three months and then came back and decided one day to come to the United States.” 

Although most would have a hard time moving across the planet, Irigoyen was well prepared for this change. 

“I went through a lot emotionally with the (Argentinian) National Team as it was a tough environment,” the senior keeper said. “Playing in the US is also a tough environment, so it prepared me for all of the adversities I could face here.” 

The Buenos Aires native had no troubles in her transition to the Flames, starting 13 games as a freshman and being honored with multiple accolades such as All-Big East first team, Big East Rookie of the Year, as well as being the first freshman from Liberty ever to be named Big East Defensive Player of the Year. 

Despite all her outward success, Irigoyen had some shaping up to do upon arrival in the Hill City. 

“I came in as a mess, a little all over the place,” Irigoyen said. “But the coaches helped me become a structured person with a lot of responsibilities as well as having more leadership.” 

On top of the coaching staff helping her out, Irigoyen gave credit to the team and its culture as well.

“My teammates also helped,”  said. “The culture demands a standard from each other, which really shaped me as a person and to be not only good on the field but also off the field.” 

A big part of this immediate success at the NCAA D1 level was and still is the culture and program that Liberty has been able to foster. 

“It is a tough environment; it is a lot of hard work,” Irigoyen said. “But I love my coaching staff, my teammates and the team culture; it’s just a joy every day.” 

Irigoyen only built upon her freshman-year success, starting every game in both her sophomore and junior seasons. She was named an All-American both years as well as making the All-Big East first team for the second time her sophomore year. 

Irigoyen also helped Liberty reach the NCAA Field Hockey Championship title game against Northwestern in 2021. Over time, the work ethic and relentless mindset of the Argentinian has made her a source of both leadership and reliability for the team.   

“It’s what I did in the gym, coming outside alone or with teammates, my mental conditioning, how I train, how I take care of myself, “Irigoyen said. “I just got really consistent.” 

Her success has helped shape Liberty into one of the premier field hockey programs in the country. 

In her senior year, Irigoyen is hoping to help the Flames make another run at a national title. With Liberty already 10-1 in its first 11 games of the season, Irigoyen is putting up some of her best numbers yet. 

Currently sixth in the nation in goals-against-average as well as second in minutes played, Irigoyen has only allowed eight goals through 10 games, including five shutouts thus far placing Liberty seventh in the nation. 

“I’m a little nostalgic and sad; I really want to do good this season since it is my last year,” Irigoyen said. “I’m just really excited and want to go far this year.” 

Liberty will have a chance to make history this season by winning its first national championship with Irigoyen in goal. Irigoyen and the Flames will be back in action again at home Friday, Oct. 6 against Big East rival Villanova, hoping to continue their hot streak.

Bessire is a sports reporter for the Liberty Champion. Follow him on X