Women’s Volleyball Prepares for First Tournament in New Liberty Arena

After a disappointing spring season and a first round exit from the ASUN Championship tournament, the Liberty volleyball team looks to improve this season by competing in more out-of-conference games.

Finishing 5-9 in the 2021 spring season no doubt left the Lady Flames searching for ways to succeed in fall 2021. The team hopes to do just that when they host the Liberty Invitational Sept. 10-11. In this competition, the Lady Flames will compete against Old Dominion, Navy, Purdue Fort Wayne and Loyola Marymount. 

“It’s going to be fun because of the caliber of play,” Head Coach Trevor Johnson said. “Bringing a team from the west coast, LMU, who is a really good team in the West Coast conference, that’s going to be exciting volleyball for our fans to see… [when] schools like Old Dominion… Navy’s …[and] Purdue Fort Wayne come and compete … our fans are going to have a great time.”

Athletes on the team echoed Johnson’s excitement for the Liberty Invitational as a chance to play teams who they might not otherwise face. 

“I feel like adversity is a big thing this year, not only for COVID but as a team. I think that we can continue to fight together to overcome each battle, and I feel like with these new teams, it’s going to teach us [through] adversity to adjust to them,” sophomore Trinity Watts said. 

In a season marked with adversity, faith acts as a crucial bond for the team. Whereas other universities may be hesitant to discuss spiritual topics on the team, Liberty embraces spiritual conversation. Watts sees this as a blessing. 

“I talk to my teammates and know that if I’m struggling through something, they are going to give me…spiritual advice… I think that’s really good because it allows us to hold each other accountable and also allows us to trust one another on a different level,” Watts said. “Rather than just we’re teammates and we’re girls on this team, we are sisters in Christ, and that’s something that we all have in common.”

As the Lady Flames begin the new season, leadership is key to their success. Sophomore Lydia Burts said that she appreciated how each player is a respected member of the team, and each member has the ability to lead in her own way. 

“Our team is really cool,” Burts said. “We have a really amazing atmosphere and culture that we’ve created where we don’t really have a hierarchy of seniors to freshmen. Everybody can come in and say what they want, and they can hold the team accountable.”

Johnson fosters leadership among the players by encouraging them to serve each other regardless of status. 

“I think that’s something that’s huge is I want to follow someone that will serve me as much as I’ll serve them, and I think that’s an amazing thing that we have,” Watts said. 

Rajini Fitzmaurice led the team last season with 15 aces. (Photo by Chase Gyles)

She mentioned that the Lady Flames will look to build on their incoming freshman class. 

“I feel like the freshmen coming in have done an amazing job of setting that standard and then keeping the upperclassmen on our toes as we compete for spots or push each other to be better… Overall the atmosphere is a healthy, competitive atmosphere,” Watts said. 

Veteran players will also play an important role in the team’s success. One of those players is Burts, who finished the spring 2021 season with 69 total blocks and was named to the ASUN All-Conference Second Team. Burts credited her success on the court to others and not just to her own abilities.

“It’s not just me on my own,” Burts said. “It’s working with my team, encouraging and being a leader as well. It’s not an individual sport, and I might not be where I am without the coaching staff and the players and God putting me here.”

Although the team ultimately aspires to win the ASUN Championship, Johnson emphasized the need for the team to take advantage of each moment by focusing on current issues instead of the future. The players reflected Johnson’s desire to prioritize the present. 

“We are where our feet are,” Watts said. “We’re not in the ASUN Championship, so our feet aren’t over there… So, it’s just taking day by day each challenge that the day presents us and conquering that.”

The Lady Flames started the season strong with three straight wins against Robert Morris, Duquesne and Idaho. The team will face Old Dominion next in the first of four games at the Liberty arena for the Liberty Invitational Sept. 10 at 10:00 a.m. 

Shields is the assistant sports editor. Find him on Facebook.