Faith Miller Sings Through Cystic Fibrosis (Part 1 of 2)

Looking out at the group of people before her, she takes the stage.  She adjusts the microphone, lowering it to suit her small frame, and fidgets with her short brown hair in anticipation.  The music she requested begins playing over the speakers and she shuts her eyes for a brief moment, hesitating.

She takes a breath, something that has not always easily come to her.

Faith Miller was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis in the fourth grade.

While Miller received a later diagnosis than many, she explained that she had been sick for most of her life leading up to her Cystic Fibrosis diagnosis.

“Even before the diagnosis, I remember always having to visit various doctors in order to try to figure out what was wrong with me,” Miller said.  “For the longest time, we thought it was chronic cough asthma, but closer to the diagnosis, I got worse.”

Miller experienced frequent “cough attacks” that resulted in her coughing so hard she could not breathe for several seconds after.  The experience which she describes as “agonizing” was one of the definitive factors in her receiving an actual diagnosis.

When she was first diagnosed, Miller says she spent most of her time in hospital rooms.  Over the course of the following year and a half, Miller was admitted to the hospital eight times, with each stay lasting close to three weeks.  Another visit, Miller included, lasted seven weeks and almost took her life.

“Once I was in middle school, the visits finally stopped until my junior year of high school when I contracted pneumonia,” Miller said.  “For someone with already damaged lungs, it made everything so much worse and I had to be admitted to the Intensive Care Unit for about two weeks until I was stable enough to go to the main floor.”

Miller, who was raised in a Christian home, admits that Cystic Fibrosis once took a large toll on her relationship with Christ.  She slipped into a major depression, admitting that she often felt powerless as a result of the debilitating disease she had been diagnosed with.

Miller felt like her life had come to a complete standstill and that she was stuck watching others live the life she had once dreamed of for herself.

Miller is now a senior at Liberty University, where she is an Interdisciplinary Studies major with concentrations in Theater, Cinematic Arts and American Sign Language.  Miller says she chose to come to Liberty after touring the campus for the first time.

“After I toured, I didn’t want to go anywhere else,” Miller said.  “Everyone was so helpful and incredibly kind, and I could sense the kind of Christian community that I so desired to be a part of.”

Miller is a full-time residential student, which is no small feat considering the extensive routines she follows daily.  Round-the-clock medications and noisy machines often make it difficult for Miller to live in such close quarters with other students.

“Roommates are certainly a unique problem when living with Cystic Fibrosis,” Miller said.  “In the words of my doctor, ‘It would suck to be your roommate,’ and I can’t say I disagree with him.”

Miller starts her day with her first round of chest physical therapy, which involves her wearing a vibrating vest for 30 minutes.  The vest works to shake up built-up mucus stuck in her lungs, making it easier for her to cough out following the treatment.

Miller also receives early registration from Liberty to help accommodate her in getting the classes she needs.  Miller explained that she cannot have classes early in the day because she needs to work through her treatments in the morning.

In light of a hectic schedule centered around medications and therapies, Miller’s advice to others with Cystic Fibrosis is not to do it alone.

“If you try to go through this alone, it will just make things harder,” Miller said.  “Find someone who will be there for you throughout the hardest times, during the hospital stays, and during the sick days.”

Miller says she takes part in Cystic Fibrosis support groups.  One, she describes as an open forum for questions and advice.

“During a small bout of depression in college after a hospital visit where my body was sprinkled with bruises and injuries which affected my already rather fragile self-image, I posted on the page and asked who was married with Cystic Fibrosis, wondering if there was really someone out there who was willing to put up with something so difficult,” Miller said.  “Over 30 people responded to me… telling me that while it can be very hard, they would not change anything.”

Miller describes the experience as encouraging, knowing that there are people struggling in the same way she is. As Cystic Fibrosis is an autoimmune disease, those who have it are at a greater risk for catching or spreading viruses.

“Because Cystic Fibrosis is a ‘no contact’ disease due to risk of cross-contamination, Cystic Fibrosis is a pretty lonely disease and all our communication must be done online,” Miller said.  “There are a ton of support groups all over the Internet, especially on Facebook.”

Other than support groups, Miller finds refuge from her daily struggles of Cystic Fibrosis, through singing and performing.

Miller pursues these passions at Liberty, performing for Open Mic Nights every semester.

Risking one last glance at the group of students before her, she begins singing to the crowd collected for Open Mic Night.  She smiles through the song at the bright faces in the audience.

All things considered, she couldn’t be happier.