Calm in the chaos

LAPD officer Deon Joseph shares his personal testimony

Los Angeles police officer Deon Joseph challenged students at Convocation Nov. 3 to look beyond a person’s circumstance and focus on the heart.

Joseph has been a police officer for 20 years and has dedicated himself to serving the people of Skid Row for 17 years. He explained that Skid Row is known as the “homeless capital of the United States of America.”

passion — Deon Joseph expressed his gratitude to God. Photo credit: Michela Diddle

Passion — Deon Joseph expressed his gratitude to God. Photo credit: Michela Diddle

When Joseph began his career in law enforcement in California, he was assigned the Central Division, the heart of Los Angeles where Skid Row is located. Joseph said he was warned that Skid Row would be a difficult area to patrol.

“There were rows and rows of people who looked like me, destroying themselves,” Joseph said. “(The smell) grabbed you by the nose hairs and shook you. I said, ‘I’m putting my transfer in today.’”

The crime rate is high as gang members descend upon the vulnerable people of Skid Row. Joseph said it is a myth that everyone in Skid Row is homeless but also said many are fighting mental illness.

After spending time in Skid Row, Joseph said he started to notice a change in his heart where he felt comfortable being there. He began to look forward to his shift and the people he would see.

“While I’m in Skid Row, I realize one thing: I (am) home,” Joseph said. “If ever you feel comfortable in chaos, it’s probably where God called you to be.”

Joseph said he developed friendships with the residents of Skid Row as God began working in him.

“You end up developing strange relationships at Skid Row when you open your heart,” Joseph said. “In the Bible, it teaches us, ‘Do this for the least of these.’ What (the Bible) is commanding us to do is to treat people who the world see as ‘the least’ as you would treat anyone else.”

Joseph made friends with many of the people of Skid Row, including a woman named Mimi who was able to assist him as an insider when she had information about a crime committed. When she became a victim of homicide, Joseph questioned God’s motives in putting her in his life.

Joseph realized change needed to happen in the community. He decided to approach each situation he faced with a heart for ministry.

“Let tragedy motivate you to make change,” Joseph said.

In one instance, Joseph said he had been receiving multiple death threats from a man on Skid Row. One day, Joseph caught the man smoking from a crack pipe and was prepared to arrest him, when he realized God had different plans.

“Something in my spirit said, ‘Pray for him,’” Joseph said. “I stuck out my hand and said, ‘Hey, man, stand up. Take my hand.’ By the time I finished praying … there were tears streaming down his eyes.”

Months later, the same troubled man walked into the station as a different person. Joseph said the man was visibly cleaned up, had reunited with his wife and kids, and had earned a flap from Narcotics Anonymous acknowledging his sobriety.

During Joseph’s time as an officer on Skid Row, he has successfully been the catalyst for organizations that strive to provide help to victims of crimes who have found solace at Skid Row.

One program, Ladies’ Night, is an event focused on helping women who have become victims of domestic violence or rape. On the first night, more than 175 women showed up.

Although Joseph is proud of the success in starting these types of programs, he said he does not deserve the credit.

“I’m not bragging on me,” Joseph said. “I’m bragging on my God.”

As Joseph concluded his presentation, his family joined him on stage as a student prayed over him and his colleagues.

Katie Godwin, president of the Liberty University Criminal Justice Club, praised Joseph for his selfless work as not only a police officer but as a Christian.

“Recently with all the negative light on law enforcement I think our nation needs to be reminded that law enforcement is here to help,” Godwin said. “I believe Deon, his department and many others are doing a great job showing their care. I hope to be at least half the officer Deon is.”

Coleman is a news reporter.