From the Desk

By now, you have probably heard that Brittany Maynard followed through with a vow she made public a few weeks ago through the media. Maynard took her life by means of a lethal prescription Saturday, Nov. 1.

As I began to organize my thoughts on the matter, I was almost confused by the number of directions I could have chosen to take in this column. But instead of launching into a diatribe about physician-assisted suicide or criticizing Maynard’s decision, I chose to focus on an aspect I feel few have approached — her family and friends.

Untitled-8

To the family of this 29-year-old woman, I am sorry that cancer took over Brittany’s body. I am sorry that you are no longer able to spend time with Brittany. And I am sorry that Brittany felt that this was the best path to take to spare her from the pain that would have inevitably taken over her body and spare you all from seeing her experience that pain.

To you all, I know that Brittany was much more than just a voice for death with dignity. To you, Brittany was a wife, daughter, sister and friend. I am sorry that people across the nation chose to use Brittany as a way to push their own agendas or thoughts on others, rather than seeing her as a precious person.

I have literally been brought to tears over the horrible cancer Brittany had to face and the death she chose. And I am so saddened by the idea that you all now have to learn to live life with an important piece of your family gone.

I prayed fervently for Brittany in the days leading up to her death. And even though she is now gone from the earth, I will continue to pray for you all. I pray that you are comforted and surrounded by love, not judgment, as you learn to approach life without her.

I promise that every time I see a headline featuring Brittany, I will not just respond with my thoughts on the matter, but I will remember that, though she is gone, you are still here. I promise to continue to pray for you.

And in addition to all I have already said, I want you all to know that even in this hard time as you are missing your beautiful family member and friend, there is hope and comfort found in the Lord.

Though hundreds of people pleaded with Brittany to change her mind, she did not. That, however, does not mean that you all have to subscribe to her views on the end of life. While I appreciate your unconditional love and support for Brittany, you need to know that even in the worst diseases, God can perform miracles. In him, we do not have to be afraid of death. When the most potent of treatments may not seem enough, God is strong enough to overcome death. He did so through Jesus Christ on the cross.

Please, friends and family of Brittany, look at God’s healing track record. It is pretty impressive. Although avoiding suffering with the help of a doctor may sound like a good solution on the surface, God has something better in mind.

Brown is the editor-in-chief