Fighting against cancer

Liberty student starts organization to help families and suffering children

hope — Samantha Paradis founded Crush Childhood Cancer in order to financially support families and children with cancer. Photo provided

Hope — Samantha Paradis founded Crush Childhood Cancer in order to financially support families and children with cancer. Photo provided

No one fights alone.

This is the goal of Crush Childhood Cancer, an organization that was founded in order to help families who have children with cancer offset the financial burden associated with their diagnoses.

Crush Childhood Cancer began in 2012 at Hope Community Church in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, by Liberty University sophomore Samantha Paradis.

“When I was in 11th grade, there was this little boy at my church who had cancer, and my whole town and church rallied around his family and raised money for them,” Paradis said. “And then I thought about all the other kids with cancer and families that didn’t have a church surrounding them, so I wanted to create something so they could have people around them.”

Trey Love was that little boy. Love was diagnosed with neuroblastoma when he was 21 months old, according to Paradis. Now 7 years old, Love has relapsed three times and is the only child to have done so and survived.

According to The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s website, neuroblastoma is a tumor of nerve tissue that develops in infants and children and can occur in many areas of the body. It most commonly begins in the abdomen in the tissues of the adrenal gland, but it may also occur in other areas. In the United States, about 800 new cases of neuroblastoma are diagnosed each year.

Love was treated at the The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. He is now cancer free. It was through the Love family that Paradis connected with other families who had children with cancer.

For families to become a part of the Crush Childhood Cancer organization, they must complete an application process.

According to Paradis, there are currently 10 children that are being supported by the organization — six girls and four boys. The children range from ages one to 18 years of age.

A 5K competition run and a 1-mile family walk are held once a year to raise money for the children and their families. A family-fun fair also takes place after the race and includes moon bounces, carnival games and basket raffles.

“I wanted to have a little run, like a 5K or something, and then it turned into a 5K (race)/1-mile walk and fun fair,” Paradis said. “And instead of having 50 people (attend), there (were) like 300 people. And then it kind of just got bigger and bigger from there.”

According to Crush Childhood Cancer’s website, during the fair, attendees participate in an activity called ‘crush the clunker car.’

“Each year, we get a car donated and spray paint all the kids’ cancer types and words like ‘chemo,’ ‘radiation,’ ‘surgery’ (and) ‘hospital’ (on the car) and get sledge hammers and bats so the families and people who come to the fair can physically crush cancer,” Paradis said. “At the end of the day, the fire department comes and does jaws of life on the car and completely crushes it in half.”

The organization’s next event will be held at Hope Community Church in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, May 9, 2015.

According to Paradis, the Crush Childhood Cancer organization is currently in the process of becoming a 501c3 nonprofit organization.

Once the organization gets approved by the state and government, there will be room for growth and more events throughout the year.

“I think right now the next goal is getting it approved to be a 501c3, and that way we can get sponsors, … official ones,” Paradis said.

“That way, it grows and (the organization) can make more money, which means (it) could have more families involved.”

Paradis said the organization has raised a little more than $40,000 in the last three years.

“I have a board of people who help me, so I’m like the only kid, and it’s me and a bunch of adults who do it,” Paradis said. “So it’s kind of weird being in charge of adults, but it is cool.”

Untitled-17

According to Paradis, people who live in the Philadelphia area can get involved with the organization by participating in the event May 9.

Paradis said those who do not live in the area but would still like to be a part of the event can sign up to be
virtual participants.

“You pay the same registration fee, you just technically don’t have to run, but your money can still go toward one of the kids,” Paradis said. “They’re still a part of it, they’re just not physically there.”

Paradis also encouraged people who want to get involved with the organization to be active in praying for the children and their families.

According to Paradis, the financial support is important, but what impacts the families the most is having people that honestly care about them and pray for their children.

“(T)hat’s just kind of the goal, … to be with the families … before, during and after the child’s diagnoses,” Paradis said. “Whether (the children) pass away or not, (they can know) that we’re still supporting them and loving them.”

For Paradis, working with these children has helped her develop a strong relationship with each of them.

“These kids have become like my little brothers and sisters, and I would do anything for them or their families,” Paradis said. “It breaks my heart that they feel so alone when their children become so sick, and I wish there was more I could do.”

According to Paradis, the children have impacted her life more than she could ever impact theirs, and she is sure that anyone who meets these children will stop at nothing to help them.

“The Lord has used them to soften my heart and learn that life is precious, especially after Aidan (one of the kids) passed away in September,” Paradis said. “Our lives are so short on earth, and these kids have taught me to live each moment like it’s my last and to choose joy in all circumstances.”

For more information about the organization Crush Childhood Cancer, visit crush-childhood-cancer.org.

BUNNER is a feature reporter.

One comment

• I am a 79 year old woman. I was diagnosed with stage IV prostate cancer almost eight years ago. I was told from day one, ‘no chance of cure,’ and they will only try to give me as much more time as possible. . I thought I will die with it as I had lost faith in the entire medical profession. I was convinced they didn’t care and do not want cancer cured. 2 years ago our family doctor introduced and started me on Healthherbsclinic Cancer Herbal Tincture, 6 months into treatment I improved dramatically. At the end of the full treatment course, the disease is totally under control. No case of Cancer, difficulty with urination, and other I’m strong again and able to go about daily activities. Visit Health Herbs Clinic website. healthherbsclinic just wanted to share with anyone looking for alternative treatment for Cancer, I’m forever thankful to nature