Activist speaks to students

President of Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays (PFOX) Greg Quinlan addressed a group of students last week at the Helms School of Government.

New lifestyle — Greg Quinlan speaks to students about his former choices. Photo credit: Ruth Bibby

In his speech, this former gay activist addressed issues such as how homosexuality impacts the United States, if it is possible to change homosexual tendencies and how he believes Christians should interact with homosexual individuals.

A firm advocate of marriage remaining between one man and one woman, Quinlan has defended his position in 19 different states over the past few years. He is currently working with the New Jersey Family Policy Council, according to his bio.

Quinlan, a registered nurse, witnessed the death of many homosexual individuals prior to his decision to leave the lifestyle.

“I watched a hundred of my friends and acquaintances die of AIDS before I quit counting. All those played a part with being disgusted with the lifestyle,” Quinlan said. “But personally, there came a point where the homosexual lifestyle was shallow, lust-filled and immature. But I didn’t know how to get out of it.”

Quinlan now works to help others who struggle with homosexual tendencies to find healing.

“There’s hope and there’s healing, but you must be able and willing to do the work,” Quinlan said.

Quinlan said he has experienced constant opposition from people who disagree with his views on this controversial topic.

Wayne Besen, a gay rights activist, is one of the most well-known individuals to strongly oppose him. He is currently in the process of suing Quinlan for libel and slander, according to Quinlan.

“He actually said to me in person that somebody ought to run me over with a bus, somebody ought to inject me with AIDS,” Quinlan said.

In his time at Liberty, Quinlan also addressed the church’s response to individuals who struggle with homosexuality, suggesting providing professional help.

“If there was ever a time for the church of Jesus Christ to wake up, it’s now. I don’t mean go back to sleep when they win one battle,” Quinlan said.