Women’s basketball senior feature

Senior Night — Avery Warley and five other seniors were honored Saturday for their respective careers. Photo credit: Nate Brown

Avery Warley

– Started 126 games
– No. 1 in Liberty history and Big South history with 1209 rebounds
– No. 3 in Liberty program history with 154 + XX blocked shots
– No. 5 in Liberty program history with 1385
– Received bachelor’s degree in psychology last May and is working on a master’s degree in counseling.
– Virginia Sports Information Directors (VaSID) State Rookie of the Year in 2009
– Sophomore season elected to the First-Team All Big South Team
– Led the Big South with .603 field goal percentage sophomore season
– Junior year, secured second consecutive All Big South selection
– Won four Big South Player of the Week Awards junior year
– Senior season made nine field goals twice, most recently vs. High Point.
– Senior season fought for 23 rebounds during a win over Charleston Southern.

On her decision to attend Liberty: “I would definitely have to say my coach. My coach definitely cared more about me personally than being a basketball player. The atmosphere was definitely something different than what I was used to seeing up in Washington D.C. My coaches and just the atmosphere here at Liberty is what brought me here.”

On her plans after Liberty: “I am definitely looking to do basketball hopefully, which looks really good right now. It’ll probably be basketball but if not, then some kind of counseling.”

On Coach Green: “Hands down, that man is awesome. He’s amazing, and I love him.”

Coach Green on Avery’s career: “Avery was pretty highly recruited. It was a tough recruiting battle in regards to getting her here. She has been a pleasure to work with … to come in and establish herself as a dominant inside player, a post player, not only in the history of Liberty but also in the conference with over 1000 rebounds is just outstanding. All you have to do is go to the record books to see how many people can really do that, men or women. She’s been beyond our expectation and to see her grow in every area: spiritually, maturity, academically and just who she is. She’s a pleasure to be around and her leadership this year has been outstanding.”

Coach Green on Avery in the WNBA: “We have been contacted by the WNBA. The first step is for someone in the WNBA to have some interest. If they recognize her as someone of interest they send for a medical examination report of her history to see if there’s some things in the past such as, knee injuries. We’ve already received that so that’s a good indication that someone has some interest in her. Can she play on the next level? I think physically she can. If someone gives her an opportunity, I think that they’ll be very pleased with her abilities and how she can contribute. There are not too many people who can keep the rebound away from her if she wants it, and that’s at the next level.”

Danika Dale on her teammate: “She’s a tough person on the court. I really hope that she goes far, she should. She’s a very talented person.”

Danika Dale

– Played in 117 games
– No. 39 in Liberty program history with 380 rebounds
– 474 points
– Graphic Design Major
– First girls’ basketball player ever from her high school to earn a NCAA Division I scholarship
– Big South Presidential Honor Roll
– Sophomore season finished third on team in both blocked shots and defensive rebounds
– Junior year scored a season-high 13 points against No. 17 St. John’s.
– Senior year scored 15 points against Campbell
– Senior year recorded 10 rebounds against Lipscomb

On her decision to attend Liberty: “Everybody was really nice. They seemed like they really cared. They genuinely had an interest in improving every aspect of my life.”

On her plans after Liberty: “I actually want to go into sports photography. I wouldn’t mind photographing basketball.”

On how Coach Green has impacted her as a player: “Coach Green is a good coach. I really appreciate him working with me on aspects of my game. Just the other day he gave me some words of encouragement, and it really helped me to go out there and rebound hard, go to the basket strong and do what I’m good at.”

Coach Green on Danika’s abilities: “Danika is someone who can create her own shot and she’s a slasher and very creative with the way she plays. She’s very long too. Her nickname is ‘Stretch.’ She can stretch out there and make some big plays. We were very fortunate, she was recruited by some other schools. We’re thankful that she decided to come here and play for Liberty. She is the deal breaker on our team. She plays well, and we’re going to win.”